HCC launches dental assistant training
To meet the changing needs of the dental industry, Houston Community College’s Coleman College for Health Sciences and Corporate College department are pleased to announce the availability of Dental Assistant Advanced Certification Training. This new training addresses recent changes to the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners that now allows dental assistants to perform both Coronal Polishing and Pit and Fissure Sealant procedures.
Because these skills are not part of most dental assistants’ basic training, the TSBDE requires that dental assistants be trained and certified in each of these skills before providing the services in the dental setting. It is estimated that there are 10,000 – 15,000 dental assistants in the Greater Houston Area.
HCC is offering two certificate training options:
- Center for Healthcare Professionals — Individual students can register for a pre-scheduled course held at HCC Coleman College in the Dental Hygiene Clinic. For more information, email email@example.com, call 713.718.7796, or visit www.hcc-chp.org.
- HCC Corporate College — Dental offices/clinics with at least 10 to 15 dental assistant students can host the class at their facility. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 713.718.5304,or visit www.hccs.edu/corp.
HCC dental assistant training is offered in state-of-the-art facilities with instructors whose years of professional and educational experience ensure the courses meet the requirements associated with certification for Dental Assistants under the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners. HCC Coleman’s Dental Assistant Program is a Texas CODA-Accredited Program of the ADA, and recognized by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners to provide Coronal Polishing and Pit and Fissure Sealant Courses.
Each certification preparation course is eight hours. Classes begin in June, 2012.
Coronal Polishing and Pit & Fissure Sealant Certification Preparation
- Meet the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners’ (TSBDE) requirements for eight (8) hours of clinical and didactic education in preparation for certification
- Are taught by experienced college faculty from a Texas CODA-Accredited Program of theADA
- Have no more than five (5) students per faculty to ensure individualized hands-on instruction (exceeds CODA’s 6:1 required ratio for clinical practice)
- Are taught in state-of-the-art clinic facilities and equipment (when held atColemanCollege)
- Provide turn-key course delivery on-site at your office/clinic (when provided byHCCCorporateCollege)
Each course includes 8 mandatory hours of lecture and clinic practice.
Students must have two (2) years of experience as a dental assistant, as required by the TSBDE. Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a certificate of completion to be submitted with their application for certification to the TSBDE.
All handouts are provided.
Both courses include lecture and hands-on clinical practice with students working on each other. Students must wear proper clinical attire and bring their own PPE and slow-speed hand piece. For pit & fissure course only, students must obtain a DDS diagnosis and approval to receive sealants, and bring that documentation to class.
Registration Options for Courses:
Option 1: Customized Training - HCC Corporate College
For dental offices/clinics with 10 to 15 dental assistants needing the course(s) at one time. HCCCorporateCollegecan bring the training to your office/clinic for your employees. Cost to be determined through a customized training agreement.
For more information, email us at email@example.com or call 713-718-5304, or visit us at www.hccs.edu/corp
Option 2: Open Enrollment - Center for Healthcare Professionals at HCC Coleman College
For the individual student who would like to register for a pre-scheduled course held atHCCColemanCollege(1900 Pressler in theTexasMedicalCenter) in the Dental Hygiene Clinic. Courses are available on Saturdays and weekday evenings.
For complete registration information and course schedule, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
call 713-718-7796, or visit us at www.hcc-chp.org